Essential oils have been around since biblical times, and their popularity has been growing again in modern days. There is an oil for almost everything, and there are a multitude of options. For those looking to give oils a try the variety can be overwhelming, but a small collection of a few oils is a great place to start!
Not all companies are providing pure oils, but there are still a few choices when it comes to providers of quality oils. To know you are getting a good essential oil read the ingredients, it’s also a good idea to check for a website for the brand.
My personal choice for brands are Plant Therapy and Eden’s Garden. They are where I buy all the oils I keep in rotation. I also have used Birch Hill Happenings and Young Living. Of course there are other brands that are just as good! Walmart and Amazon brands could be safe- it is important to do research.
1. Lavender- the first oil I always want on hand is lavender. It is calming, helps with stings or bites from bugs, and it is kid safe.
2. Lemon- I just love the fresh clean lemon scent. Lemon or lime I usually in my diffuser; but lemon is definitely my favorite because it makes me feel like my house is clean. Lemon also provides digestive support and is detoxifying.
3. Peppermint- my go to for headaches and tummy aches. Peppermint is also excellent for congestion relief.
4. Frankincense- this oil wasn’t brought to baby Jesus for no reason- it is a powerhouse! When my kids are sick I use it for a detox bath for them. We diffuse it often with lime to clear the air, and it’s great for muscle pain relief!
5. Tea Tree- clear acne, head lice treatment, anti fungal, and the list goes on! Really another powerhouse of an oil!
Those are my top 5 oils for beginners! A carrier oil is necessary for any oil to be applied topically. I use coconut oil primarily, but there are lots of options for carriers too. I encourage everyone to do their own research and follow proper dilution guidelines for each oil. I hope this gives a starting place for those interested in diving into the world of essential oils.