Taking the number nine spot in our top ten stories for 2019, is the feature on Buckner College.
The article, published in January of 2019, featured the history on the college, which opened its doors in Witcherville in 1882. At that time it was the largest and most imposing structure in the State of Arkansas devoted to education. The college was chartered in 1879 and began operating in 1882 as one of Arkansas’s earliest Baptist educational institutions.
Ultimately the college closed in 1914. The facilities were sold to the local school board, and by 1919 Buckner College was just a dim memory. In 1930, the stonework from the unfinished college building was sold and transported to Waldron, where it was used to construct the Pines Movie Theater.
The memory of Buckner College remains in a park by its name and one native stone building.