Mansfield Water Tower Repairs Rest on Mansfield Mayor

mansfield-arkansas-water-tower-boil-order.jpg

As of today, Mansfield has been under a boil order since last Thursday. Six days of having to boil water is taking it’s toll within the school district, and the businesses.

According to Mansfield Public Works Director, Ken Swilling Mansfield residents are urged to continue boiling their water. After speaking with Mansfield Mayor, Larry Austin, we’ve come to understand some details as to what’s happening, and it doesn’t look good.

When asked about the current state of the water tower repairs, Swilling replied, “We’re waiting on the Mayor (Larry Austin) to get us quotes to repair the water tower top.”

Why is the Public Works Department waiting on the Mayor?

Mayor Austin had to return our phone call after we initially tried to made contact with him. [8:18am Tuesday, December 12th]

[8:47am, Austin’s conversation goes as follows]

RP – “Thanks for returning our call. How long will the boil order last, and what is currently being done to repair the water tower?”

Mayor Austin – “I’m not real sure, but it will be lifted as soon as the water tower is repaired. Maybe 7-10 days?”

(Note: The storm was on Monday night, December 4th, boil order issued Thursday, December 7th.)

RP – “What is the current process being used to fix the tower?

Mayor Austin – “We’re waiting on quotes right now.”

RP – “Can you be more specific as to who WE actually pertains to?”

Mayor Austin – “Well. [long pause] It actually means me.”

RP – “So you’re overseeing the repairs, and quotes without any involvement from the public Works Department? Are you qualified to make opinions on the repairs itself?”

Mayor Austin – “The City makes the decisions and I enforce those decisions.”

RP – “Mayor Austin, if I heard correctly, and please correct me if I’m wrong, but it seems that you’re attempting to solve an issue in areas you know nothing about. You don’t have the expertise, or know how to do this properly. Shouldn’t this be left to those who know how to fix it?”

Mayor Austin – “I’m waiting on a phone call from the people who built the tower.”

RP – “So, nothing has been done to repair the water tower? Are you doing anything else to help the citizens, or even the school district during this boil order?”

Mayor Austin – “Thank you.”

[The Mayor ended the conversation by hanging up]

Amidst numerous comments made by former City of Mansfield employees, this seems to fall right in line with their statements regarding the Mayor’s “way of doing things.” We would also like to know why the Public Works department is not the one overseeing the repairs, and who on the staff is properly trained and certified to make sure it gets done according to code.

The residents of Mansfield have patiently waited for more information since last Thursday when the boil order was issued. As of time to publish this article, the boil order is at day 6 (with the storm actually occurring on Dec. 4th) with no understanding as to how long it will continue to last. We do know that the water tower has to be fixed first, and that any work has yet to begin.

14 Replies to “Mansfield Water Tower Repairs Rest on Mansfield Mayor”

1. Sirena Womack says:

Fix the tower we pay money every month for our water are u cutting us a break this month since it it has to be boiled? That’s extra work for the citizens of Mansfield and everyone else concerned. if I don’t pay my bill u shut it off. So do whatever u got to do but get it fixed

2. Wes Barnes says:

Has anyone called DHEC or the Attorney General’s office in Little Rock? I’m new here and live in the county but am forced to buy city water and sewer despite being on septic tank and our own very good well water system.
    My point being, the mayor has a very limited amount of time to correct this as its a matter of “PUBLIC HEALTH & DISEASE CONTROL”. Those are the words the complaint is led with and used over and over in a complaint.
    We’ll be happy to help anyway we can. We love Mansfield too.

Just my two cents worth,
    Wes Barnes
    Abbott, Ar.

3. Concerned citizen says:

It is pretty sad that they haven’t even fixed the tower yet. And what is sader is that we have not received anything in the mail from the town informing us on the current situation, or even that there is a boil order. There are alot of elderly people in town who may not even know about it. And it is pretty sad that local businesses had to donate water to school for the kids, where they are allowed one water a day. This should be the mayor’s responsible to make sure that our children have clean drinking water. And what about the elderly people that are on fixed income, how are they supposed to afford extra water expenses are you going to cut the water bills to make up for that. How long is it going to take you to get this fixed. There are even people in town that do great work, check with them. Let’s get this done for the town, for the people.

4. Concerned Mother says:

Something NEEDS to be done. My house doesn’t make much money as it is. We have to pay daycare, and utilities, along with medical bills out the wazoo! I for one am NOT paying a single penny on my water bill until this is fixed. What can they do, threaten to turn it off? Go ahead, I’m not really using it at the moment anyway! I have to make up money somewhere to buy bottles and jugs of water so my babies can have enough to drink. “honorable” mayor Austin, you are the sorriest excuse for a human being I have ever met in my life. Your rear needs to be out of office. You are rude and unprofessional and don’t give two craps about the town you are suppose to care for. Absolutely RIDICULOUS!!!

5. Ghost of MHS Past says:

Wake up people! John Taylor said it best. He ruined the school, he is ruining the town and dragging the school down yet again. What happens in a town when the city is ran bad? People leave, right? Well when people leave what happens to your school? It loses money, right? When the school loses money what happens to said school? It ends up like Hartford school and either closes or joins another district. What happens to the town when the school goes under? The town eventually becomes a ghost town. Wake up people, this man is killing your town. My suggestion is for people to show up to the council meetings in droves. Even people from the school district that live in adjacent towns (Huntington, Witcherville, Dayton, Abbott, etc.) because this is effecting YOUR school as well. Call your state senator, call Little Rock, heck, call the Governor! Call every council member until they are sick of seeing your number on their phones. Think people, for once THINK! This is effecting your health, your parents health, your kids health. Look at the situation in Flint Michigan. Do you want your town in that situation? People died up there before it became National news. Just remember if you don’t do something you may regret not doing it.

6. Mh says:

Austin is for himself and no one else. He sucked a superintendent and is woelrse as the mayor. I hope he gets fined and the fines on the sewer plant as well. The town smells awful and it’s because he has no one to run the treatment plant. Someone needs to get in touch with state officials and get him fined and removed. Waste of air as far as I can see it

7. April S says:

It would be nice if he would donate bottles of water to the schools for the children.

8. Nita Gustafson says:

Larry Austin, your FIRED!

9. Disappointed says:

This guy absolutely does not need to be mayor. He wants to be in charge of everything, yet lacks the necessary knowledge/people skills to accomplish anything in an efficient way. You can only be a prideful jerk if you’re good at what you do; that is not the case here at all.

10. John Taylor says:

This sounds like the same issues we as a school board dealt with on a daily basis when ole Larry was superintendent of schools.

11. Barbara says:

Can’t we impeach the major and get someone in here who knows what the heck they are doing ?? This is our health and our children’s health we are taking about and the elderly here in Mansfield , but I guess the so called major does not care about the health of anyone , just disgusting in my personal opinion

12. OMG says:

Sounds like this guy is a typical “MY WAY” or “NO WAY”
    No wonder Mansfield can’t progress with idiots like this being voted in.

Bahahahaha… “I enforce those decisions.” I’m dying!
    What he means is that “I enforce what I want done and when Inwant it done”

13. Ticked says:

Can we “fire” the mayor? The most inept “leader” I’ve come across. Maybe we should all send our receipts for bottled water to the mayor, since he is in no rush to get the repairs done!!

14. Citizen says:

At this rate it’ll be next year before its done. Pathetic.