by Jack James
According to John Dill, the Huntington train depot was built in 1887. That is the same year at the city was incorporated also. It was constructed for the Little Rock & Texas (Frisco) lines. The lines were extended in 1909 and were discontinued in September of 1933. That coincides with the coal mines beginning to slow production as well. The depot building was abandoned in February of 1940.
The Depot is shown in this 1918 ICC (International Code Council) map. The depot photograph was taken in 1933.
(Information and photographs are property of John Dill.)