Businesses Gone: The Mansfield Glass Company

brickcomansfield.jpg

The Mansfield Glass Company began in the 1940s in the location of the former Choctaw Brick and Gas Company location in west Mansfield on Frazer Road.  The products that were made here were sold across the country, if not the world.

The company found a great demand for glass products in their day in the first quarter of the twentieth century. Local, inexpensive natural gas rates made it a perfect fit for the company.  The late Harold Johnson of Mansfield, formerly of Fort Smith, and his father owned a glass factory on the west end of Fort Smith. Every time the Arkansas River flooded, the factory flooded as well. The Johnson’s bought the old brick plant from Choctaw Brick Company in 1941 and began production. It was a thriving business meeting the demand of handmade glass products.  The plant produced lamp chimney’s, lamp shades, Joy Minnow Traps and the white glass globes for the Standard Oil gas stations that went on top of their gas pumps. “The demand for kerosene lamp chimneys was much greater than the supply,” according to a quote from W. F. Wagoner, who purchased the glassworks from the Johnson years later, adding colorful glass vases and items.  

In
1958, more than one hundred train loads of lamp chimneys alone were made and
sold in the United States each year. Of that total, nine carloads were made in
Mansfield. The best markets were found in the states of Louisiana and
Kentucky. 

The firm, while it specialized in lamp chimneys, was also the largest manufacturer
of minnow traps in the United States and Canada. The greatest markets were
Texas and Louisiana. The company even shipped a train carload to Alaska.

Lamp shades and vases made by the company were sold through specialty and
antique shops; every one being hand blown. The Mansfield firm was at that time
the top manufacturer in the nation of these items.

Efficiency at the plant was said to be amazing.  A lamp chimney was turned out every forty
seconds. The workers there had years of practice and perfecting their
craft.  Dean Piret (husband of Bonnie Piret and pictured below) began
working there at the age of sixteen and spent forty-three year blowing
glass. 

 
Plant owner W. F. Wagoner was a former glass blower for General Electric. He was a General Electric employee in 1913 in Niles, Ohio. Wagoner’s company, which was established in 1943, was one of the three hand “blown glass companies” in existence and had very few accidents.

This unique factory had many visitors and observers from across the nation when it was running full blast.  Students from local schools always enjoyed field trips and sight-seeing trips to the plant.

Sources:                                                                                                              The History of the Mansfield School District Area, October 1994. 
Johnson Interview                                                                                          Newman Interview

Share this post

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

scroll to top